2 green apples
1 cup finely chopped dried dates (170 g)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup boiling water (250 ml)
125 g unsalted butter at room temperature, chopped
1 cup brown sugar (200 g)
1.75 cups plain flour (280 g)
50 g unsalted butter chopped
½ cup brown sugar (100 g)
½ cup milk (125 ml)
¾ cup shredded coconut (55 g)
⅓ cup desiccated coconut (30 g)
- Grease a 19cm square cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending above pan edges.
- Peel and core apples. Cut into 1cm pieces. Place in a large bowl with dates and soda. Pour boiling water over top. Cover with plastic wrap. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Beat butter, sugar and egg in small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Add to apple mixture with sifted flour. Fold to combine. Pour into prepared pan.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 55 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make coconut topping. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Remove cake from oven. Spread over coconut topping. Return to oven. Cook for a further 30 minutes, or until golden brown and cake is cooked when tested. Stand for 10 minutes in pan.
- Lift cake from pan. Cool on a wire rack.