1 tsp cream of tartar
2 cups caster sugar
Extra 3 tsp white vinegar
1½ Tbsp cornflour
450 g thickened cream
¼ cup icing sugar mixture plus extra to dust
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups mixed fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Using a pencil, mark a 22cm circle in centre.
- Put eggwhites and cream of tartar in the clean bowl of an electric beater and beat on medium, using a clean whisk attachment, for about 10 minutes.
- Add caster sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time, beating well until all sugar is incorporated, stiff peaks form and mixture is thick and glossy.
- Combine extra vinegar and cornflour in a small bowl. Add to eggwhite mixture and beat to combine.
- Using circle as a guide, spoon eggwhite mixture onto prepared tray to form a 22cm round.
- Create soft, decorative peaks with tip of spatula or spoon.
- Reduce oven temperature to 120°C. Bake for 1½ hours or until dry and firm to touch. Turn off oven, then leave pavlova to cool on tray in oven for 30 minutes with door ajar.
- Put cream, icing sugar and vanilla in the large bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium, using whisk attachment, until soft peaks form.
- Spoon cream onto pavlova, then arrange berries on top. Dust with extra icing sugar, to serve.