- 3 large dill pickles
- 20 sheets frozen spring roll pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Tomato sauce and American mustard, to serve
- 2 tblsps vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 400g beef mince
- 2 tblsps barbecue sauce
- 1 cup firmly packed grated Colby cheese (130g)
- ¾ cup grated Tasty cheese (85g), firmly packed
- To make filling, heat half the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Add beef. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over a high heat, stirring to break up mince, for about 4 minutes, or until cooked. Place in a bowl. Stir in sauce. Let cool. Stir in cheeses.
- Trim ends of pickles. Cut each in half lengthways. Cut four of the halved pickles lengthways into three wedges. Cut remaining two halved pickles lengthways into four wedges. You will need 20 wedges in total.
- To make rolls, work with one pastry sheet at a time. Place on a clean bench, with one corner pointing towards you. Cover remaining sheets with a clean, damp cloth.
- Brush edges with egg. Place 1 heaped tblsp of filling across the corner closest to you. Top with a pickle wedge. Fold over same corner to cover filling. Fold in sides and tightly roll up pastry.
- Place on two oven trays lined with baking paper. Brush with remaining oil.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm spring rolls, drizzled with tomato sauce and mustard.
For more delicious and easy recipes that the whole family will love, pick up your copy of New Idea Mince 2 at a selected newsagent or supermarket, or buy online for just $9.99.