Serve these mango lamingtons at your next summertime soiree and watch them disappear! The coconut-coated fluffy cakes with mango icing are refreshingly sweet.
½ cup self-raising flour
¼ cup cornflour
¼ cup plain flour
4 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup caster sugar
¼ cup hot water
4 cups (320g) shredded coconut
1 ¼ cups chopped mango (2 chopped mangoes)
2 cups pure icing sugar
⅓ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base and sides of an 18cm x 28cm rectangular slice pan with baking paper overhanging edges by 2cm. Sift flours twice into a small bowl.
- Beat eggs and vanilla in the large bowl of an electric mixer for 5 minutes or until pale and creamy. Gradually add sugar whilst continuing to beat for another 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Sift flours, again, over the top of egg mixture. Add water and fold in until combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and springs back when pressed. Stand for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make mango icing, puree mango in a food processor or blender. Sift icing sugar into a large bowl. Add puree and milk and whisk until smooth. Trim any rough sides from sponge then cut into 28 squares. Place coconut in a shallow tray.
- Dip sponge in mango mixture, allowing excess to drain off. Coat with coconut. Transfer to a wire rack to set for one hour. Serve.