250 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
¾ cup icing sugar mixture
1 egg yolk
2½ cups plain flour
15 ice-cream sticks
Silver cachous, to decorate
icing sugar mixture, to decorate
½ x 250 g packet marshmallows, chopped
3 tsp milk
- Line three large oven trays with baking paper.
- Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Add yolk. Beat until combined. Transfer to a large bowl. Add flour. Stir with a wooden spoon until mixture starts to come together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured bench. Bring together with your hands to form a dough. Divide in half. Wrap each portion in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until firm.
- Roll out one portion between two sheets of baking paper until ½cm thick. Using a 7cm heart-shaped cutter, cut out 15 hearts, re-rolling dough once. Repeat with remaining portion.
- Using a 2cm round fluted cutter, cut out rounds from the centre of 15 hearts. Arrange all hearts about 3cm apart on prepared oven trays.
- Cook two trays at a time, in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 15 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden. Cool on trays. Repeat with remaining tray.
- To make filling, combine all ingredients in a large heatproof bowl. Sit bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth. Remove. Stand bowl at room temperature, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until cooled and thickened.
- To assemble biscuits, spread 2 tsps filling over biscuits without holes cut out. Press an ice-cream stick into filling, 1cm from base of hearts. Sandwich together with remaining biscuits. Decorate with cachous. Refrigerate until set. Dust with extra icing sugar.