2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 kg chuck steak, trimmed and cut into 4 cm pieces
1 onion, finely chopped
½ cup massaman curry paste
1 cups (375 ml) beef stock
400 ml can coconut milk
1 cinnamon stick
3 small Desiree potatoes (450 g), peeled and cut into 3 cm pieces
chopped roasted peanuts to garnish
sliced red chillies to garnish
Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- Heat half the oil in a stockpot over a medium to high heat. Add beef in four batches. Cook, turning occasionally, for about 4 minutes, or until browned. Remove. Reduce heat to medium.
- Heat remaining oil in same pot. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Return beef to pot with stock, milk and cinnamon stick. Stir well. Bring to boil. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour, 45 minutes. Add potatoes. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove lid.
- Increase heat to medium. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until sauce is slightly thickened. Discard cinnamon stick.
- Garnish with peanuts and chillies. Serve with steamed jasmine rice.