Inspired by the episode, Andy has now shared his very own mac and cheese recipe with fans and it can easily be replicated at home.
And, it isn’t quite as difficult as the dish the contestants on the show attempted, so it's a fun option for families to try at home.
Keep scrolling for the full recipe and how to make it.
Half a head of cauliflower
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
30g unsalted butter
1 leek, white part only, roughly diced
1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced
4 thyme sprigs, leaves removed from stems
500ml full cream milk
100g smoked cheddar
50g gruyere cheese
4 anchovy fillets
Juice of half a lemon
200g cooked macaroni pasta
10g chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
6 or so reserved cauliflower pieces
20g Parmigiano reggiano, grated
2 thyme sprigs, leaves removed
Zest of half a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre heat your oven to 250 degrees.
- Place a medium sized saucepan over a medium heat. Add the butter and olive oil and once they’re warm throw in the diced leek. Sweat the leek down, making sure you don’t colour, for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Cut the cauliflower away from the core and cut into small florets about the size of a 20cm piece. Place two thirds of the florets onto a roasting tray, drizzle with a good amount of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the tray into the preheated oven at 250 degrees and roast for 10 minutes. The cauliflower should be nice and caramelised and slightly charred when it’s done. Separate 6 or so of the smaller florets and set aside for the crumb on top.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked, change the oven setting to grill and reduce to 180 degrees.
- While the cauliflower is in the oven, finely slice up the core of the cauliflower and the left over florets and add it to the softened leek along with the garlic, thyme leaves and milk. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let tick away for 20 minutes or until the cauliflower has softened. Stir in the anchovy fillets and then transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return the puree back to the saucepan and place over a low heat. Add the gruyere, smoked cheddar and stir until they’ve melted through the mixture. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Next pour the cauliflower and cheese puree over cauliflower florets and macaroni and stir through the chopped parsley. Transfer to a baking dish, scatter over ingredients for crumb and place under the grill until the crumb on top is golden brown.