2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry thawed
1 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions thinly sliced into rings
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1.5 cups thickened cream (375 ml)
6 eggs lightly beaten
¼ cup grated parmesan (25 g)
200 g feta crumbled
1 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
1 tbsp plain flour
125 g cherry tomatoes halved
- Grease a deep 23cm round loose-based flan tin.
- Join pastry sheets together with edges slightly overlapping. Lift pastry into tin, pressing into the side. Trim, allowing 2cm to hang over the edge. Cover with baking paper. Fill with dried beans or rice. Place on an oven tray.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for 15 minutes. Remove paper and beans. Cook for a further 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add onions and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add sugar and vinegar. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove and cool. Spread over base of pastry case. Pour over combined cream, eggs, parmesan, feta, basil and flour. Top with tomatoes.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 55 to 60 minutes, or until filling is set. Stand for 20 minutes before removing from tin.