200 g gruyere cheese block
2 tbsp olive oil
4 bread rolls split horizontally
½ cup barbecue sauce to serve
2 vine-ripened tomatoes sliced
50 g baby spinach
1 kg beef mince
¾ cup salted crackers
2 egg yolks
3 garlic cloves crushed
2 tbsp thyme leaves chopped
1 tbsp dijon mustard
sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
3 medium red onions cut into 1cm-thick slices
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- To make patties, mix ingredients in a bowl. Divide mixture into four portions. Shape into 12cm round patties. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make onions, heat oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until tender. Stir in sugar and balsamic and cook for 5 minutes until liquid has evaporated and onions are caramelised. Season.
- Cut four squares, 5mm thick, from cheese. Reserve remaining for another use.
- Brush patties with oil. Cook in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium to high heat for 7 minutes each side, or until cooked. Place a slice of cheese on each patty. Cover pan. Cook for 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Toast cut-side of buns under a hot grill until golden.
- Serve patties on rolls with onion, sauce, tomatoes, spinach and roll lids.