3 x 340 g packets moist chocolate cake mix
1 packet decorating candies
½ cup chocolate topping
ice cream sweets
1 waffle ice cream cone
350 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
3½ cups icing sugar mixture
pink food colouring paste
blue food colouring paste
green food colouring paste
- Grease a 22cm round x 9cm deep cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above pan edge. Line one hole of a 12-hole muffin pan (¹/³-cup capacity) with a paper case.
- Prepare cake mixes individually, following packet directions. Spoon ¼ cup of mix into paper case in muffin pan. Spoon remaining into round pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook both pans in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 25 minutes. Remove muffin pan. Cook remaining cake for a further 1 hour, 10 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand for 30 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool.
- To make frosting, beat butter in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, ½ cup at a time, beating until smooth. Divide evenly among three bowls. Tint one portion pale pink, one portion pale blue and remaining pale green.
- Trim top of cake to sit flat. Invert onto a cake board. Starting from the centre of the cake and using a skewer, mark cake into three equal sections. Spread a different coloured frosting in each section over top and side. Arrange ice-cream lollies around base. Position muffin in centre.
- Pour over topping to cover muffin and drip down side of cake as pictured. Top muffin with cone. Decorate with florals.