1 large crusty cob loaf
olive oil spray
30 g sachet taco seasoning mix
2 x 435 g can canned refried beans
300 g jar mild salsa
230 g packet lime and chilli flavoured tortilla chips
⅓ cup sour cream
200 g tub avocado dip
1 medium tomato, roughly chopped
⅓ cup sprigs coriander, to garnish
lime cut into wedges, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Cut cob loaf in half horizontally. Take the top half and cut into two pieces, cut each of the pieces into long strips – scissors are ideal for this step.
- Place bread strips into a single layer on a baking tray and spray with olive oil. Sprinkle with 2 tsp taco spice mix, turn and repeat on the other side. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until crispy. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, remove the soft bread centre of the cob loaf base, leaving a 1-2cm border inside the crust to make a case. (You can reserve the soft bread for making breadcrumbs if you like.) Place the cob case onto a second baking tray, spray with oil and bake for 12-15 minutes or until crispy.
- Place the refried beans, salsa, remaining taco spice mix and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan over low heat and stir until mixture is smooth and simmering. Spoon into the cob loaf.
- Place onto a serving patter and surround with taco-flavoured bread strips and tortilla triangles.
- Top with sour cream, avocado dip and chopped tomato. Season with black pepper. Garnish with coriander sprigs and serve with lime wedges, if desired.