65 cm baguette
4 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
2 tsp chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1 cup finely grated Parmesan
1 Tbsp taco seasoning mix
1 lime, cut into wedges
Roasted tomato salsa
2 x 250 g punnets cherry tomatoes
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
2 avocados, chopped
⅓ cup chopped fresh coriander
2 Tbsp lime juice
- To make salsa, combine tomatoes and oil in an oiled, large roasting pan. Season.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 10 minutes, or until tomatoes start to soften. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, trim one end from baguette. Cut diagonally into 12 x 3cm thick slices.
- Whisk eggs, milk and chipotle in a jug. Pour into a shallow dish. Combine parmesan and seasoning in a separate, shallow dish.
- In two batches, place baguette slices into egg mixture. Stand for 2 minutes. Turn over and repeat until soaked. Dip in parmesan mixture to coat on both sides.
- Heat an oiled, large, non-stick frying pan over a medium to low heat. Add baguette in two batches. Cook, for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Transfer baguette to an oven tray lined with baking paper. Cook in same hot oven for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove.
- Gently stir avocados, coriander and lime juice through tomatoes in bowl. Serve salsa with hot toast and lime wedges.