1.5 kg rindless pork shoulder, cut into 6 large chunks
1 red onion, roughly chopped
For the marinade
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp hot habanero chilli sauce
2 ¼ tbsp tomato purée
juice 2 oranges (around 200ml)
juice 3 large limes (around 75ml)
2 ¼ tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cloves
For the pickled red onions
2 medium red onions, finely sliced
1 ½ tbsp white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
1 ½ tbsp caster sugar
24 corn tacos, warmed
4 baby cos lettuces, trimmed and finely shredded
sour cream, to serve
- Put the marinade ingredients in a large, zip-seal freezer bag and squish until well combined. Add the pork and onion, ensuring they’re well coated. Seal and put in the fridge overnight.
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan. Transfer the pork and its marinade to a medium casserole dish. Cover with a lid and place in the oven for 4-5 hrs or until the pork is very tender and falls apart when poked with a fork.
- To make the pickled onions, put the sliced red onions in a heatproof bowl. Cover with just-boiled water and leave to stand for 10 mins. Drain well, then stir in the white wine vinegar or cider vinegar and caster sugar. Stand for at least 10 mins before serving.
- Drain in a colander, reserving the marinade, then transfer the pork to a board.
- Shred the pork with two forks, drizzle over 4-5 tbsp of the reserved marinade, and serve from the board with the pickled red onions, warmed corn tacos, shredded lettuce and sour cream.