And in a shocking twist, Jamie claims her 11-month-old ate some of the icing before they discovered the putrid state of the cake beneath.
Says Jamie: ‘My husband bought me a cake from Michels Patisserie ... on Friday the 21/2 late in the afternoon. We cut into the cake Sunday night and this is what we found.
‘That green stuff you can see is mould, the inside of the cake was completely green. Apparently it was a vanilla sponge cake. I nearly gagged when I placed it on my plate and dust came from it.
‘This was refrigerated 20 mins after purchase. Like wtf, what had we served this to people at our house had I had a party. The worst thing is on Friday Piper and I ate icing off the cake not knowing what lay beneath 🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮 For people who don’t know me, my daughter Piper is 11 months old.’
Jamie’s post has now gone viral, with thousands sharing, liking and commenting on her post.
‘At first I thought it was florist foam, you know the green stuff they stick stems into to display the flowers? It’s THAT green 🤢,’ said one. Added another: ‘This is really scary.’
Said a third: ‘Friends bought a cake from there and it was the same, all mouldy, they took it back and got their money back, its bloody disgusting.’
Said one more: ‘That’s a joke! That’s why I make all my cakes! I don’t trust the ‘freshness’ of bought ones!’
A Michel’s Patisserie spokesperson has described the incidence as a 'one-off'.
'After an internal review of the incident we can confirm that the picture shared was a one-off isolated occurrence,' the spokesperson tells New Idea Food.
'This cake was delivered by the supplier to the store less than 24 hours before it was sold. It was already fully decorated meaning the store owner was unable to see the inside of the cake before it was sold.
'Despite this cake being a popular product with hundreds sold every day, there have been no other incidents identified in the network.'
Our number one priority remains customer safety and quality and we are working with this supplier to ensure that this does not happen again.