500 g lean beef mince
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely diced
1 celery stalk, finely diced
1 small eggplant, diced into 1cm pieces
750 ml tomato passata
½ cup frozen peas
350 g sweet potato, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
¼ cup finely grated Parmesan, plus extra shaved to serve
¼ cup small fresh basil leaves
baby rocket, to serve
- Before getting started, ensure to preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan-forced).
- Turn on the stove on medium-high heat, heating oil in a large non-stick frypan. Cook the garlic for 1 minute, and then add onion, carrot, celery and eggplant for 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened. Add the mince and cook for 5 minutes until browned.
- Once mince has been simmering for five minutes, stir in the passata and reduce the heat. Cover and simmer the beef mixture for 10 minutes until thickened before seasoning.
- Spoon the beef mixture into a lightly oiled 1.5L baking dish. Arrange sweet potato slices over the mince mixture and then place in the oven to cook for about 30-35 minutes or until potato is tender. Ensure to cover with foil for best results.
- Once cooked, preheat the oven to grill. Sprinkle the sweet potato with Parmesan, and grill for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden and melted.
- To serve, sprinkle with shaved Parmesan and basil, accompanied by baby rocket leaves.