1 kg brushed potatoes, peeled and chopped
40 g butter, finely chopped
½ cup hot milk
½ cup grated tasty cheese
3 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
500 g beef mince
¼ cup tomato paste
2 tbsp plain flour
1 cup beef stock
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grease a 12-hole, non-stick muffin pan (1/3-cup capacity).
- To make filling, heat an oiled, large, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, or until soft. Add beef. Cook, stirring to break up mince, for about 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Stir in paste. Blend flour with ¼ cup of the stock until smooth. Stir into pan with remaining stock and sauce. Season. Bring to boil. Gently boil, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until thickened. Remove. Cool.
- Cook potatoes in a pan of boiling water until tender. Drain. Return to pan over a low heat. Add butter and milk. Mash until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in half the cheese. Season.
- Cut each pastry sheet into four circles (10.5cm in diameter). Line prepared pan holes with pastry. Divide filling among cases. Top with potato (about 1/3 cup on each).
- Cook in a very hot oven (220C) for 20 minutes. Remove. Reduce oven to hot (200C). Sprinkle over remaining cheese. Cook for a further 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from oven. Cool pies in pan for 10 minutes before lifting out to serve.