1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup vegetable oil
1 ½ cups self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp mixed spice
¾ cup finely chopped walnuts
2 cups coarsely grated carrot
Extra finely chopped walnuts, to decorate
Cream cheese frosting
150 g cream cheese, at room temperature
50 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups icing sugar mixture
- Line five x 12-hole mini muffin pans with paper cases (1 ½-tablespoons capacity). Or use two muffins pans at a time to make 24, as this recipe makes 60 cupcakes.
- Beat eggs, sugar and oil in a small bowl of an electric mixer until thick and creamy. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in combined sifted flour, soda and spice. Stir in walnuts then carrot. Spoon levelled tablespoons of mixture into prepared pan holes.
- Cook two pans at a time, in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Stand in pans for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- To make frosting, beat, cheese and butter in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually add icing sugar, beating until thick. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with ½cm star nozzle.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Decorate with extra walnuts.