6 cups julienned fresh mixed vegetables
2 green chillies, de-seeded and thinly sliced
2 cups besan (chickpea flour)
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
½ tsp turmeric
2 litres vegetable oil, to deep fry
¼ cup of any chutney
⅔ cup natural yoghurt
- Place vegetables into a bowl and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sea salt. Set aside for 5 min to allow vegies to soften slightly.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour into a bowl. Add the ginger, cumin seeds, chilli flakes, turmeric and some pepper. Gradually whisk in 1¼ cups water until a thick batter forms. Add the vegetables and mix until well combined.
- Add enough vegetable oil to a saucepan to come 2cm up the sides. Warm over medium heat. Carefully spoon 2 tablespoons of mixture into the hot oil and fry for 3-4 min each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel. Repeat to cook remaining vegetable pakoras. Serve with mixed salad and Chutney Yoghurt.
- To make sauce, combine ¼ cup of any leftover chutney with ⅔ cup natural yoghurt in a bowl, stirring until smooth.