45 ml prepared Caffitaly Espresso Moccona dark roast single coffee capsule coffee, cooled
½ cup (125ml) milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ⅓ cup (200g) plain flour
⅓ cup (35g) cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
130 g unsalted butter, softened
½ cup (110g) white sugar
½ cup (110g) light soft brown sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
30 ml prepared Caffitaly Espresso Moccona dark roast single coffee capsules, cooled
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
250 g unsalted butter, softened
2 ½ cups (375g) icing sugar
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with sifted cocoa powder.
- For the cupcakes, combine coffee, milk and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Place the butter, white sugar and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer, and beat for 3-5 minutes until pale. Add the egg and beat until combined.
- Turn mixer to low, then add one-third of the flour mixture, followed by half the coffee mixture, scraping down the side of the bowl and beating well after each addition. Repeat the process, then finish with the remaining flour mixture.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cases and fill each hole two-thirds full with the mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (the cupcakes are cooked when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean). Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- To prepare the frosting, combine espresso and vanilla extract together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 5 minutes on medium-high until pale. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the icing sugar, scraping the sides of the bowl and beating well after each addition). Once all the icing sugar is incorporated, increase speed to medium-high and beat for 1 minute. Add the espresso mixture and mix until combined.
- Transfer the icing to a piping bag with star tip and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.