Melted butter, for greasing
125 g unsalted butter, chopped
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp instant coffee granules
2 tbsp coffee-flavoured liqueur
1¼ cups self-raising flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
¾ cup milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Vanilla ice-cream and quartered strawberries, to serve
200 g block dark cooking chocolate, chopped
½ cup thickened cream
¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
¼ cup golden syrup
3 tsp instant coffee granules
- Lightly grease a metal pudding steamer (8-cup capacity) with melted butter. Cut out an 18cm circle from a piece of baking paper and set aside.
- Place butter, sugar, syrup, coffee and liqueur in a large saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until butter is melted and mixture is combined. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool slightly.
- Add combined sifted flour and cocoa with combined milk and eggs. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour into steamer. Top with baking paper. Cover with lid. Place in a stockpot. Pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of steamer. Cover pot with lid.
- Bring to boil. Simmer over a medium heat for about 1 hour, 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the pudding comes out clean. Replenish pot with boiling water throughout cooking, as necessary.
- To make fudge sauce, combine all ingredients in a large heatproof bowl. Sit bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Remove steamer from pot. Stand for 5 minutes before turning out onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm pudding with warm fudge sauce, ice-cream and fresh strawberries.