2 tsp shrimp paste
4 eschalots, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small red chilli, deseeded, diced
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
4 cups cooked Jasmine rice
1 Tbsp kecap manis (or gluten-free alternative)
1 tsp caster sugar
1 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Green shallots, thinly sliced diagonally, to garnish
1 iceberg lettuce shredded to serve
1 tomato diced to serve
½ cup roasted peanuts to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Wrap shrimp paste in foil and bake for 10 minutes or until aromatic.
- Transfer paste to the bowl of a food processor and add eschalot, garlic and chilli. Process until smooth.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of the oil in a wok over a high heat. Add shrimp mixture. Cook for 2 minutes or until aromatic.
- Add rice and remaining oil and continue cooking. When rice begins to stick, add kecap manis, sugar and coriander. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry eggs, sunny-side up, for 2-3 minutes or until whites are set. Divide rice mixture among 4 serving bowls and top each with an egg. Garnish with shallot and serve with lettuce, tomato and peanuts on the side.