But now in a new twist, a 65-year-old Queensland farmer has come forward to say that he suffered serious injuries after slipping on an onion at Bunnings - and it’s believed that his fall is what prompted shock sausage revolution.
Trevor, who cannot reveal his full name, told the ABC that he slipped on the caramelised onion during a drink to Gympie Bunnings to buy a whipper snipper.
'I walked into store and it happened so fast, I had leather boots on, I went down on my back,' he said. 'When I went down, that is the first thing I thought of — 'don't let your head hit the concrete'.
At first Trevor thought he was ok and refused Bunnings offers to call an ambulance - but then the next day, things went downhill. He became concerned that his recent hip replacement surgery had been compromised by the fall, leading him to have an MRI.
He then made a claim to Bunnings, saying the fall had caused him emotional distress - revealing that he suffered a panic attack on his first trip back to the hardware store after the fall, and found himself checking the floor for dropped onions.
'It is serious stuff, this onion thing,' he said.
Trevor was eventually compensated by Bunnings and signed a non-disclosure agreement - but it apparently lead the store to overhaul it’s sausage safety policy, which they did so happily.
'Safety is always our number one priority and we recently introduced a suggestion that onion be placed underneath sausages to help prevent the onion from falling out and creating a slipping hazard,’ Bunnings Chief Operating Officer Debbie Poole revealed.
'Regardless of how you like your onion and snag, we are confident this new serving suggestion will not impact the delicious taste or great feeling you get when supporting your local community group.’
Trevor’s admissions have been met with a lot of criticism on social media, leading many to back Bunnings throughout the whole saga.
Hear hear! Hand us another Bunnings sausage sanga, will you?