They also point out that kids and teens are most at risk of this sleeping habit, warning parents to be vigilant.
‘Research has revealed that 53% of children/teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow,’ the Newton Fire Department revealed on Facebook. ‘The heat generated cannot dissipate, and the charger will become hotter and hotter.
‘The likely result is that the pillow/bed will catch fire ... This places the child/teen as well as everyone else in the home in great danger.’
Experts say it’s important to sit down and warn their kids and the whole family about the dangers of sleeping with their phone or ipad connected to a charger.
They also suggest only using chargers made by your phone’s manufacturer and to avoid charging devices during extreme weather.
‘Avoid charging in extreme environmental conditions — too hot or too cold — and charge your device out of any case, as that can generate excess heat,’ says technology expert Rachel Rothman.