‘Toxicity of Snapdragons: For humans, it is believed that all parts of the snapdragon are poisonous if ingested.
‘Just letting you know!’
The snapdragon plant is safe for dogs, cats and horses to ingest - there is conflicting information on whether it’s safe for humans.
Leading gardening site The Spruce saying the plants are toxic to humans, saying 'For humans, it is believed that all parts of the snapdragon are poisonous if ingested.’
The University of California also lists snapdragons in their ‘safe’ plants list for people to have in their gardens - but recommends urgent action if any of the plant has been ingested.
‘The plants on this list are generally believed to be safe,’ they say. ‘However, if you suspect that a child (or adult) has eaten quantities of any of these plants (or any of their parts), or if you notice symptoms such as illness or dermatitis after handling these plants, call your Poison Control Center for additional information.
‘It is assumed that the plants listed here are not being used as teas, herbs, or medicines.’
However other some other sites claim the flowers themselves are edible and not toxic.
Says the site Gardening Know How: ‘Snapdragons make it on the edible flower lists, but they are there solely for their ornamental value. Really, of all the edible flowers, snapdragon probably ranks last on the list. Its edibility isn’t in question, it won’t poison you, but the question is do you even want to eat it?'
Adding to the concern are reports from many collectors saying they’ve accidentally mixed-up their particular plants.
Said one: ‘All my seeds fell out of their pot I chucked them back together but I feel like this isn’t the correct plants 😂’
Added another: ‘Can maybe help me ID [these plants] please? Also, my spinach doesn't look like spinach? Any ideas lol. My 2.5yr old has done most of the playing so we have had a few mix ups.’
Said a third: ‘The wind mixed up 4 of my signs 😭... so after further research this ‘chives’ looks more like beetroot??’
A Woolworths spokesperson tells New Idea Food: 'As stated on the packaging, Woolworths Discovery Garden components should not be consumed, other than fruit, vegetables or herbs.
'We also recommend that customers wear gloves when handling. Woolworth Discovery Garden is not suitable for children under 3 years, and is recommended for 5 years and over.'