Not surprisingly, fellow Discovery Garden fans were shocked by the find.
“What the hell?” said one. Added another: ‘This is kinda gross.’
Added a third: ‘Looks like it has been contaminated with fungal spores and you’re growing some mushrooms.
‘They are likely from the air, particularly if you’ve had them outside or near an open window. Lots of fungi spreading spores this time of year.’
This isn’t the first time that Woolworths has come under fire for their hugely popular promotion. Just last week, one shopper reported that their plant ‘spontaneously combusted’ and caught on fire - and mums have revealed that ‘gross mould’ has forced them to throw some plants out.
‘I love this new plant promotion, but I can’t deal with the mould,’ said one fan.