More than 54% voted that they’d indeed found mould on their plants, leaving no doubt that it’s been a very common issue for many gardeners.
‘I get that it’s supposed to be good for the plants and it’s entirely normal, but my kids are constantly picking up the plants and touching all this mould - I just don’t like it,’ said one mum. ‘I don’t want them touching the mould and then putting their fingers in their mouths or on food. It’s gross. And one of my kids is asthmatic ... it's just dangerous.'
But another fan counters: ‘If there isn't fungi (mould) in your soil, your soil is drastically unhealthy. Don't eat anything with mould on it obviously, but a bit of mould on the outside of a pot or even at the base of your seedlings are fine.’
A Woolworths spokesperson says: 'We’d like to reassure growers that mould can be a natural part of the process when it comes to growing a natural product.
'Mould is found everywhere and comes down to the environment and caused by local conditions such as moisture and airflow. If you see mould appearing, we suggest gently wiping it off with a tissue or cloth.
'Although the mould doesn’t damage the plant, it is unsightly and usually indicates that the pots are being overwatered and have poor drainage or circulation.'