Quick salted butterscoth
60 g unsalted butter
100 g dark brown sugar
½ cup (125 ml) thickened cream
½ tsp sea salt flakes
5 egg yolks
100 g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
475 ml thickened cream
½ cup Nutella or chocolate hazelnut spread
- To make the butterscotch, heat a medium heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add butter, and when melted, add sugar, cream and salt, whisking until well combined. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then cook for 5 minutes, whisking regularly. After 5 minutes remove from the heat and set aside at room temperature to cool completely.
- For the semifreddo, combine the whole egg, yolks, sugar and vanilla bean paste in a metal bowl. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water (ensuring that the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water). Use a hand whisk or electric beaters to beat until the mixture thickens and your whisk or beater leaves a trail (about 10 minutes for a hand whisk or 6-8 minutes for electric beaters). Remove from the heat and place in the fridge to cool a little.
- In a large bowl whisk the cream for 5-6 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Remove the cooled egg mixture from the fridge and stir in the Nutella ensuring it is well mixed. Gently fold the Nutella and egg mixture through the whipped cream to combine, ensuring you don’t knock too much air out of the cream.
- Line a 2 litre-capacity tin well with plastic wrap, smoothing out as many folds as possible and ensuring you have plenty overhanging the sides so you can fold over the semifreddo. Spoon one-third of the semifreddo mixture into the tin and level it out using a offset spatula or the back of a large metal spoon. Drizzle roughly 3 tablespoons of the butterscotch. Repeat the layers twice more, finishing with the butterscotch. You should have roughly 3 tablespoons of butterscotch left – keep this in the fridge ready to serve with the semifreddo.
- Cover the semifreddo with the plastic wrap and freeze for at least 6 hours, or preferably overnight
- To serve, pull the semifreddo out of the tin using the plastic wrap, then invert the semifreddo onto a serving plate. Remove the plastic wrap and drizzle with salted butterscotch.