150 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
½ cup brown sugar
⅓ cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 free-range egg
½ cup hazelnut meal
1 ¼ cups plain flour
⅓ cup cocoa powder
½ tsp baking powder
½ cup Nutella, chilled
- Grease and line two large oven trays with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugars and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg. Beat until combined. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add hazelnut meal and combined sifted flour, cocoa and baking powder. Mix well.
- Roll two level tblsps of dough into a ball. Using your thumb, make an indent into dough. Place on prepared tray, indent-side up. Repeat with the remaining dough, placing about 5cm apart on prepared trays.
- One at a time, spoon a heaped tsp of chilled Nutella into each indent. Pinch dough together to enclose. Re-roll into balls. Return to trays.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C), swapping trays halfway through, for about 12 minutes, or until firm when lightly touched. Remove from oven. Cool completely on trays.