7 g packet (2 tsp) instant dried yeast
1 tsp caster sugar
¾ cup warm water
2¼ cups white bread flour plus extra to serve
1 tsp fine salt
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Put yeast, sugar and water in a small bowl and stir until yeast has dissolved. Set aside in a warm place for 10 minutes or until foamy.
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in centre and pour in yeast mixture and oil. Using your hands, gradually combine to form a dough.
- Transfer dough to a clean, dry surface. Knead dough for 5 minutes or until smooth. Form dough into a ball, return to bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead to remove air bubbles. Shape into a long loaf about 9 x 17cm and pinch ends. Put on prepared tray and, using a small, sharp knife, make seven 1cm-deep cuts, from 1 short side to other short side. Cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Bake dough for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack for 20 minutes to cool, then slice and serve.