6 egg whites, at room temperature
1 ½ cup caster sugar
Pink food colouring
1 punnet fresh strawberries quartered to decorate
1 tbsp icing sugar mixture to decorate
600 ml tub thickened cream
¼ cup icing sugar mixture
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Lightly grease four oven trays. Trace a 22cm circle onto four sheets of baking paper. Place trace-side down onto each tray.
- Beat 3 egg whites in a small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add ¾ cup of the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until dissolved and mixture is thick and glossy.
- Divide meringue evenly between two bowls. Tint one bowl with 1½ teaspoons colouring and the other with 1 teaspoon colouring. Stir until combined. Divide between two of the circles on prepared trays. Spread evenly to edges of circles. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a very slow oven (120C) for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until firm to touch. Turn off oven. Cool meringues in oven with door ajar for about 1 hour. Remove.
- Repeat process with remaining egg whites and sugar to make two more meringues. Divide evenly between two bowls. Tint one bowl with ½ teaspoon colouring and the other with 3 to 4 drops colouring.
- To make cream, beat all ingredients in a large bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- To assemble, sandwich meringues from darkest to lightest with 1 cup cream in between each layer, finishing with a layer of cream.
- Decorate with strawberries. Dust with icing sugar mixture.