1½ cups milk, warm
1 tablespoon dried yeast
2 tablespoons caster sugar
3½ cups plain flour
1 cup mixed dried fruit
½ cup caramel or milk choc bits
100 g marzipan, grated
1 cup Nutella or other chocolate spread
2 tablespoons flour, extra
60 g butter
¼ cup milk
¼ cup caster sugar
60 g chocolate, chopped
- Spray 2 flat baking trays with canola oil and set aside. In a large bowl, mix together milk, yeast, caster sugar and egg. Stir well until combined. Add the flour, fruit, caramel bits and marzipan and mix until a dough is formed. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 5 min or until the dough is slightly elastic.
- Spray bowl with canola oil and return the dough, cover with plastic wrap. Allow to prove in a warm place for 45 min or until doubled in size. Remove plastic wrap, punch down the dough and knead for a further 1 min. Divide dough into 12 portions.
- Roll each dough portion into a circle and spoon on a tablespoon of Nutella. Gather up the dough and shape into a bun. Place seam-side down onto a tray and repeat with remaining dough, placing buns apart (six on a tray).
- Cover with a tea towel, prove for a further 30 min. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 210°C (190°C fan forced). Blend extra 2 tablespoons plain flour with 2 tablespoons water and place in a zip-lock bag. Snip corner of bag and pipe crosses onto buns. Bake for 20 min or until browned. Transfer to a rack and brush with Warm Chocolate Glaze while still warm. Serve with remaining glaze if desired.
- To make chocolate glaze, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until smooth and combined. Transfer cooked buns to a rack and brush with chocolate glaze while still warm. Serve with remaining glaze if desired.