2.6 kg turkey buffe, thawed (following pack instructions)
8 tbsp cranberry sauce (with cherries) to serve (see below)
Orange and honey glaze
Zest and freshly squeezed juice of 2 oranges
2 tbsp honey
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp Dijon mustard or gluten-free mustard
1 tbsp thyme leaves
Cherry and cranberry sauce (makes 1 1/3 cups)
350 g fresh cherries, pitted
50 g dried cranberries
1 ½ tbsp brown sugar or granulated sugar substitute
finely grated zest ½ orange
freshly squeezed juice 1 orange
60 ml (¼ cup) water
1 ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- To make glaze, put zest and juice, honey, garlic, mustard and thyme in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until the mixture reduces and thickens.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Remove any excess fat from turkey. Put turkey in a roasting pan. Pour 500ml (2 cups) water into pan. Brush turkey with a layer of glaze. Cover with a piece of baking paper, then cover with a piece of foil. Bake for 1¼ hours.
- Remove foil and paper from turkey and discard. Brush some of remaining glaze over turkey. Bake for 30 minutes, basting with remaining glaze after 15 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer in thickest part of turkey (juices should run clear).
- Remove turkey from oven and set aside for 15-20 minutes to rest before carving. Serve with Cherry and cranberry sauce.
- Put cherries, cranberries, sugar, orange zest and juice, water and vinegar in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Using a potato masher, roughly crush the fruit. Return to heat and cook, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until mixture thickens (to a spoonable consistency).
- Transfer sauce to a clean, dry 375ml (1½ cup) screwtop jar. Seal and set aside to cool. Keep the sauce in the fridge for up to 2 months, using a clean spoon each time the sauce is removed for serving.