Craving cheesecake but short on time? Grab one of these handy slices to get your fix on the fly
1 tbsp melted butter
1¼ cups plain flour
⅓ cup caster sugar
80 g butter, chopped
1½ cups milk
⅓ cup custard powder
40 g butter
250 g packet cream cheese, at room temperature, chopped
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
⅓ cup orange juice
2 Tbsp caster sugar
1 cup sultanas
3 eggs, separated
Extra ½ cup caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 29 x 24cm slice tin with melted butter and line with baking paper.
- For the base, combine flour and caster sugar in a large bowl. Using your fingertips, rub butter into flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg and mix until a dough forms. Press dough evenly over base of prepared tin. Refrigerate until ready to bake.
- For the filling, whisk ½ cup milk and the custard powder in a jug. Set aside. Put remaining milk, butter, cream cheese, zest, juice and sugar in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Whisk until cream cheese is melted and the mixture is well combined. Bring to the boil. Add custard mixture and whisk until well combined. Stir in the sultanas, then bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put eggwhites in the small bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high, using the paddle attachment, until frothy. With motor running, add extra sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until a thick glossy meringue forms. Fold meringue into cream cheese mixture. Pour over slice base and spread evenly.
- Whisk yolks and carefully brush over top of cream cheese mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until set. Transfer tin to a wire rack to cool. Remove slice from tin and cut into fingers. Serve plain or dusted with icing sugar.