2 Tbsp melted butter, to grease
1½ Tbsp plain flour, to dust
2 eggs, at room temperature
110 g caster sugar
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
¾ tsp baking powder
Extra 100 g plain flour
Extra 100 g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
1 cup icing sugar mixture, sifted
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Brush moulds of a 12-hole (1-Tbsp capacity) madeleine tin with melted butter. Dust with flour and shake off excess.
- Put eggs, caster sugar and zest in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high, using whisk attachment, for 3 minutes or until very light and frothy.
- Sift baking powder and extra flour into a large bowl, then slowly stir into egg mixture with extra butter until just combined.
- Spoon batter into a piping bag fitted with a plain 1cm nozzle and pipe into moulds until level. Bake for 10 minutes or until just golden. Set aside for 2 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, put icing sugar in a large bowl with just enough of the orange juice to make a thin icing, then whisk to combine.
- Using a teaspoon, drizzle orange icing over each madeleine to coat, then set aside for 5 minutes to allow icing to set. Serve immediately (these are best eaten straight away).