6 egg whites
1½ cups caster sugar
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp white vinegar
2 cups thickened cream
4 bananas, thinly sliced diagonally
Pulp 8 passionfruit
Mint leaves, to decorate
- Trace a 20cm diameter circle on a sheet of baking paper. Place trace-side down on a greased oven tray.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. With motor operating, add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating well between each addition. Continue to beat until smooth and glossy. (Total beating time about 8 minutes.) Fold in cornflour and vinegar.
- Spoon mixture into traced circle, spreading to edge. Shape into a mound. Run a palette knife up side of meringue to make slight indentations. Smooth top.
- Cook in a very slow oven (120C) for about 1½ hours, or until dry and crisp. Turn off oven. Cool pavlova in oven with door ajar for 2 hours. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whip cream with an electric beater until soft peaks form.
- Place pavlova on a plate. Top with cream. Arrange banana slices over cream. Drizzle with pulp. Decorate with mint leaves.