Afternoon tea or dessert? The choice is yours – but you'll definitely want to try this flavoursome passionfruit and apricot tart.
250 g packet butternut snap cookies
75 g unsalted butter, melted
300 ml tub thickened cream
½ cup milk
⅓ cup caster sugar
3 free-range egg yolks
2 Tbsp custard powder
2 tsp cornflour
2 Tbsp passionfruit pulp
2 tsp powdered gelatine
2 Tbsp cold water
½ cup apricot nectar
2 Tbsp apricot jam
- Grease a 13cm x 35cm rectangular loose-base flan tin. Place on a tray.
- Process cookies in a food processor until finely crushed. Add butter. Process until combined. Press evenly over the base and up sides of prepared tin. Refrigerate.
- To make filling, combine cream, milk and sugar in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot. Do not boil.
- Whisk together yolks, custard powder and cornflour in a medium heatproof bowl. Whisk in ¼ cup hot milk mixture until smooth. Gradually whisk in remaining hot milk mixture. Return to same saucepan.
- Whisk continuously over a medium heat for about 4 minutes, or until mixture is boiling and thickened. Stir in passionfruit. Pour into biscuit case. Spread evenly. Refrigerate while preparing topping.
- To make topping, sprinkle gelatine over water in a small, heatproof jug. Sit jug in a small saucepan of simmering water. Stir until gelatine is dissolved. Remove jug from saucepan.
- Drain water from pan. Add apricot nectar and jam. Whisk over a medium to high heat until hot. Stir in hot gelatine mixture. Remove from heat. Pour into a small sieve sitting over a heatproof jug. Stir, discarding apricot skins. Cool to room temperature.
- Slowly pour apricot mixture over the top of the custard. Refrigerate for 6 hours, or overnight until set.
- To serve, remove tart from tin. Cut into slices.