8 egg whites
2 cups caster sugar
2 tsp white vinegar
1 tbsp cornflour
½ tsp cream of tartar
2 chopped mangoes, to decorate
1 punnet fresh blueberries, to decorate
½ cup toasted macadamias
3 egg yolks
¼ cup caster sugar
2 tbsp cornflour
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
300 ml tub thickened cream, whipped
- To make custard cream, whisk yolks and sugar in a bowl until combined. Whisk in cornflour.
- Heat milk and vanilla in a medium saucepan until hot. Do not boil. Gradually whisk into yolk mixture until combined. Return to same pan over a medium to high heat. Cook, whisking, until boiling and thickened. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites in a large bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, one tbsp at a time, beating until dissolved. Continue to beat for 3 to 4 minutes. Gently fold in vinegar and combined sifted cornflour and cream of tartar.
- Spoon mixture onto a large oven tray lined with baking paper. Spread into a 25cm x 30cm rectangle.
- Cook in a very slow oven (120C) for about 1 hour, 15 minutes, or until dry and crisp. Cool in oven, with door ajar, for 1 hour. Remove. Cool completely.
- To serve, transfer pavlova to a serving plate. Fold whipped cream into custard mixture. Spoon custard cream over top of pavlova. Decorate with fruit and nuts.