410 g can sliced peaches in fruit juice
⅔ cup caster sugar (140 g)
125 g unsalted butter at room temperature, chopped
1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
1 cup self-raising flour (160 g)
½ cup almond meal (60 g)
2 tblsps milk
1 carton prepared custard to serve
- Lightly grease six ovenproof dishes (1 cup capacity).
- Drain peaches, reserving ½ cup juice. Pat peaches dry with absorbent kitchen paper. Roughly chop peaches. Set aside.
- Place reserved juice and 2 tblsps of the sugar in a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer, uncovered, without stirring, for 3 minutes. Cool slightly. Add half the peaches.
- Divide mixture among prepared dishes. Place on an oven tray.
- Beat butter, remaining sugar and rind in small bowl of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Transfer to a large bowl. The mixture will look curdled at this stage but will come together once flour is added.
- Add flour, almond meal, milk and remaining peaches. Using a wooden spoon, stir until well combined. Divide mixture over peaches in dishes.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 20 to 23 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand for 5 minutes. Run a knife round inside of dishes. Turn out puddings onto serving plates.
- Serve warm with custard.