2 cups mixed dried fruit
1¼ cup chopped dried peaches (200 g)
1 cup chopped dried figs (190 g)
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, coarsely grated
¾ cup whisky
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
175 g unsalted butter, melted
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3½ cups fresh breadcrumbs (175 g)
1 cup self-raising flour
2 tsps mixed spice
Icing sugar mixture, to decorate
Vanilla custard and dollop cream, to serve
- Combine dried fruits, apple and whisky in a large bowl. Stand, covered, overnight.
- Grease an 8-cup capacity pudding steamer. Line base with baking paper.
- Stir sugar, butter, eggs and breadcrumbs into fruit mixture. Sift flour and spice over top. Stir until well combined. Spoon into prepared steamer. Smooth over top. Place a pleated piece of baking paper then foil over steamer. Tie firmly with string to secure.
- Place steamer onto an upturned heatproof saucer in a large stockpot. Fill with enough boiling water to come halfway up side of steamer. Cover pot with a tight-fitting lid. Boil gently for 6 hours, replenishing with boiling water as necessary.
- Carefully remove basin from stockpot. Stand for 20 minutes before turning out.
- Serve pudding warm or cold dusted with sifted icing sugar. Serve with custard and cream.