The only thing better than one cookie is two! Add ice-cream and nuts, then dip in chocolate and sprinkle with salt for a moreish dessert! A summer sensation!
1 litre vanilla ice-cream
300 g dark chocolate block, chopped
200 g shelled salted and roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
sea salt flakes, to garnish (optional)
Peanut butter cookies
230 g plain flour
190 g rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
225 ml milk
125 g plain yoghurt
260 g smooth peanut butter
60 g unsalted butter, chopped
150 g brown sugar
½ tsp sea salt flakes
2 large free-range eggs
½ cup shelled salted and roasted peanuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- To make cookies, put flour, oats, baking powder and bicarb in food processor and process until fine crumbs form. Set aside.
- Combine milk and yoghurt in a medium bowl and set aside. Put peanut butter, butter, sugar and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high, using paddle attachment, for 5 minutes or until light and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each one. Add ½ of the crumb mixture and beat on low until combined. Gradually pour in milk mixture, beating until combined. Add remaining crumb mixture and beat until combined. Spoon batter into a piping bag fitted with a large plain nozzle.
- Pipe dollops of batter the size of a 50 cent piece and 2cm thick onto prepared trays, leaving a 5cm space between each to allow for spreading during cooking. Scatter with nuts. Put in oven and bake for 13 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove trays and carefully put cookies on wire rack to cool completely. Re-line trays and repeat with remaining batter and nuts.
- To assemble, put a small scoop of ice-cream on flat side of 1 biscuit and top with flat side of a second biscuit. Carefully push biscuits together until ice cream spreads to biscuit edge. Transfer to another oven tray and repeat with remaining cookies. Put tray in freezer for 20 minutes or until ice-cream is firm.
- Meanwhile, put chocolate in a large heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir occasionally until chocolate has melted. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Remove cookies from freezer. Roll sides in chopped peanuts to coat exposed ice-cream, then dip 1 biscuit in chocolate. Sprinkle a little salt on chocolate, if using, and serve.