1 cup dried pitted dates, chopped
⅓ cup rice malt syrup
½ cup water
410 g can pear slices in juice, drained
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
1 tsp mixed spice
½ cup sunflower oil
½ cup walnuts, chopped
- Grease a 12cm x 22cm medium loaf pan. Line base and sides of pan with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above edges.
- Combine dates, syrup and water in a small saucepan. Bring to boil. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Process pears until smooth. Stir into date mixture.
- Sift flours and spice into a large bowl. Return husks from wholemeal flour to bowl. Add date mixture and oil. Stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. Fold in half the nuts.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining nuts.
- Cook in moderate oven (180C) for about 55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack.
- Serve loaf warm or cold, cut into thick slices.