Served warm or cold, make this Christmas classic the highlight of your family celebrations! With a brown sugar, apricot jam and brandy glaze, it's delicious!
8 kg cooked leg ham
Spiced oranges, to decorate (optional)
Spiced apricot glaze
1 ½ cups brown sugar
¾ cup apricot jam
⅓ cup Dijon mustard
1 tbsp finely grated orange rind
¼ cup brandy
- To make glaze, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir until combined.
- Make a zigzag decorative cut through ham rind about 10cm from shank end of leg. To remove rind, run your thumb around the edge just under the skin. Start pulling rind from widest edge of ham. Continue to pull rind carefully away from fat up to the decorative cut. Remove rind from ham.
- Meanwhile, using a very sharp knife, carefully make shallow cuts into the ham fat, about 2cm apart, in a diamond pattern. (Take care not to cut all the way through the fat when scoring otherwise it will spread during cooking.) Place a clove in the centre of each diamond.
- Wrap shank end in foil to prevent over-browning. Place in a large roasting pan. Brush glaze evenly over ham.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for 40 minutes, brushing halfway through with glaze. Discard foil. Brush again with glaze. Cook for a further 20 minutes, or until ham is browned. Remove from oven. Cool slightly.
- Place ham on a serving platter. Wrap a small strip of white paper around end of ham leg and tie with a ribbon.
- Serve ham sliced with remaining glaze and spiced oranges on the side.