400 g shredded cooked chicken
For the broth
3 litres chicken stock
2 star anise
2 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick (about 20 g)
1 large onion, unpeeled
300 g piece ginger, unpeeled
3 tsp golden caster sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 ½ tbsp fish sauce, plus extra to serve
3 tsp brown sugar
1- 2 packs dried rice noodles
200 g finely chopped spring onions
200 g bean sprouts
1 small pack coriander, finely chopped
4 lime wedges
1 or 2 fresh red chillies, chopped
- Heat a grill on high. In a large pan, bring the chicken stock to the boil. Add the star anise, cardamom and cinnamon, and simmer on a low heat.
- Cook the onion and ginger under the grill for 30 minutes, turning halfway. Allow to cool a little before removing the charred skin, wash the onion and ginger, and add whole to the broth.
- Simmer the broth for 30 minutes, then discard the onion, ginger and whole spices.
- Add the sugar, salt and garlic powder, fish sauce and brown sugar to the broth and taste, adjusting with more salt or sugar if needed.
- To assemble, cook the noodles following pack instructions, then tip the noodles into your bowls. Arrange the shredded chicken on top and garnish with the spring onions, beansprouts and coriander. Add an extra ½ tsp fish sauce to each ladle of broth and serve with wedges of lime and chilli.