3 cups plain flour
225 g cold unsalted butter, chopped
¼ cup caster sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp cold water
2 tbsp demerara sugar
Icing sugar mixture, to decorate
Pineapple fruit mince
1 cup raisins, chopped
100 g cold unsalted butter, grated
1 cup sultanas
½ cup currants
½ cup chopped mixed peel
⅔ cup demerara sugar
1 tbsp finely grated orange rind
1 tsp mixed spice
1 large green apple, peeled and grated
440 g can crushed pineapple, drained
2 tbsp brandy
- To make the fruit mince, combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Refrigerate, covered, overnight to soak.
- To make pastry, process flour, butter and caster sugar in a food processor until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add yolks and water. Process until mixture forms a soft dough. Refrigerate, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Grease two 12-hole round-based patty pans (1½-tbsp capacity).
- Press 2 tsp of pastry into each prepared pan hole to cover bases and sides. Spoon 2 tsp of fruit mince into each one. Roll remaining pastry between two sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Using a 6cm round cutter, cut out 24 rounds for lids. Using a 1½cm round cutter, cut holes from lids. Lift lids onto mince mixture and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 20 to 25 minutes, or until pastry is browned and cooked. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- When cooled, dust tarts with sifted icing sugar.