Pretty in pink - and delicious too! These pink lamingtons will take your party from boring to swanky.
¾ cup caster sugar
¾ cup self-raising flour
⅓ cup cornflour
10 g butter, melted
2 cups desiccated coconut
¼ cup strawberry jam
1 cup whipped cream
6 cups icing mixture
40 g melted butter
4- 6 drops of pink food colouring
⅔ cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease and line a 20cm square cake pan. Place eggs and caster sugar in a bowl and beat until thick and pale.
- Sift the flours together and gently fold through the egg mixture, beating between each addition. Mix together ⅓ cup boiling water and melted butter. Pour down the side of the bowl and fold through until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into prepared pan and cook for 40 min or until cooked. Allow to cool. Cut cake into 5cm x 5cm squares.
- Place coconut in a large bowl. Use a fork to dip the cake squares in the Lamington Icing and toss in coconut to coat. Transfer to a cooling rack to dry. Before serving, slice lamingtons in half, spread with a little jam and a dollop of cream and sandwich together.
- To make the icing, place 6 cups icing mixture, 40g melted butter, 4-6 drops of pink food colouring and ⅔ cup boiling water in a bowl, mix together, add a little more water if needed.