Kids will love this marshmallow slice. With a coconut and Weetbix buttery base, and a pink fluffy topping, adults may also find a weak spot for these treats...
3 Weet-Bix, crushed
1 cup self-raising flour
½ cup desiccated coconut, plus extra for decorating
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
150 g unsalted butter, melted
1 tbsp powdered gelatine
⅔ cup water
1 cup caster sugar
pink food colouring, to tint
- Grease a 19cm x 30cm lamington pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above pan edges.
- Combine Weetbix, flour, coconut and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in butter until well combined. Press mixture firmly over base of prepared pan.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove. Cool in pan.
- To make marshmallow topping, sprinkle gelatine over ¼ cup of the water in a small heatproof jug. Stand jug in a small saucepan of simmering water. Stir until dissolved. Remove from pan.
- Meanwhile, place sugar and remaining water in large bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on high speed for 4 minutes. With motor operating, gradually add gelatine mixture in a thin, steady stream. Beat for a further 8 minutes, or until thick and fluffy. Tint with a few drops of food colouring.
- Spread over base. Sprinkle with extra coconut. Stand at room temperature until set.
- To serve, lift slice from pan. Cut into squares.