1 cup pistachio kernels
2 cups almond meal
1 cup caster sugar
3 free-range egg whites
5 drops liquid green food colouring
2 Tbsp apricot jam
1 Tbsp almond liqueur
1 cup pure icing sugar, sifted
- Line two large oven trays with baking paper.
- Process pistachios in a food processor to form fine crumbs. Do not over-process. Transfer to a large bowl. Add almond meal and caster sugar. Stir to combine.
- Beat egg whites with food colouring in a small bowl of an electric mixer until frothy (before they form soft peaks). Add to pistachio mixture with jam and liqueur. Mix to form a soft, sticky dough.
- Roll 1 tablespoon of mixture at a time into a 7cm long log, tapering ends slightly. Roll in icing sugar until heavily coated. Shape into a crescent on prepared trays, placing about 2cm apart. Press to flatten slightly.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 20 to 30 minutes or until edges are slightly firm and starting to lightly brown. Remove from oven. Cool completely on trays