6 egg whites
1½ cups caster sugar
1 cup pistachios, finely chopped
1½ cups thickened cream
Extra 1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate curls, to decorate
2 x 100 g dark chocolate block, finely chopped
1 cup thickened cream
- Grease three oven trays. Draw a 12cm x 25cm rectangle on three sheets of baking paper. Turn paper over and place on prepared trays.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. With motor running, add sugar 1 tbsp at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the side of the bowl. Beat for about 5 minutes, or until meringue is smooth and glossy. Fold in pistachios. Divide meringue evenly among trays in marked rectangles. Spread to edges.
- Cook two trays at a time, in a very slow oven (120C) for about 1 hour, or until dry and crisp. Turn oven off and cool meringue in oven with door ajar. Repeat with remaining tray.
- Meanwhile, make ganache. Combine chocolate and cream in a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate until firm.
- Beat cream, extra sugar and vanilla together in a small bowl of an electric mixer until firm peaks form.
- To assemble, place one meringue on a serving plate. Gently spread with half the chocolate ganache. Top with 1/3 of the cream. Repeat layering with remaining meringue, chocolate ganache and cream, finishing with a layer of cream. Refrigerate, covered, for about 3 hours, or overnight.
- Serve decorated with chocolate curls.