250 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
1 cup icing sugar mixture
1 tsp vanilla extract
1½ cups plain flour
¾ cup rice flour
1 cup finely chopped pistachios (135 g)
2 tbsp demerara sugar
- Beat butter, icing sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add combined sifted flours. Stir until just combined. Stir in pistachios. Press mixture over base of a 23cm round x 3cm deep loose-based flan tin. Smooth over top. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, score dough into 12 equal wedges. Sprinkle evenly with demerara sugar.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 40 minutes, or until lightly golden. Cool in tin.
- Remove shortbread from tin. To serve, gently cut into wedges, using scored marks as a guide.