80 g (½ cup) wholemeal plain flour
75 g (½ cup) self-raising flour
70 g light margarine
80 ml (⅓ cup) low-fat milk
500 g white-fleshed plums, flesh sliced
350 g Granny Smith apples, peeled, quartered, cored, thickly sliced
1 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp water
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground ginger
40 g (1 cup) Kellogg's Special K lightly toasted rice and whole wheat cereal flakes
45 g (½ cup) rolled oats
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp honey
1 egg (60g), lightly whisked
1 tbsp prepared light vanilla custard
- Preheat oven to 190°C (fanforced). Line a 16 x 26cm (base measurement) lamington pan with baking paper, allowing it to overhang the sides.
- To make base, combine flours in a medium bowl. Add margarine and, using fingertips, rub in until well combined. Stir in milk (mixture is wet). Spread mixture over lined pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until base is lightly golden and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, to make filling, put the plums, apples, sugar, water, cinnamon and ginger in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 8-10 minutes or until fruit is soft. Transfer to a bowl to cool slightly.
- To make crumble topping, combine Special K, oats, sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Stir in honey and egg.
- Spoon filling over base of prepared pan. Top with crumble. Bake for 15 minutes or until crumble is golden. Set aside in pan for 20 minutes. Carefully lift out onto a board; cut into pieces. Serve warm, or at room temperature. Serve with custard, if desired.